August 1. Well into the Dog Days of Summer. Another month on keto. It’s been a tumultuous month, but ultimately a successful one. Lots of drama, lots of overcoming obstacles, lots of learning. Most of the challenges were not keto related. I won’t bore you with them, just reality intruding. Nothing major. The is a keto milestone post, so, on with our topic.
- Weight loss: another 20.2 lbs. for the month, running total 63.4 lbs
- T2DB: FBS 110 or under (with one exception) 85g – 95g mostly. One too low 54g
- Ketones: still not measuring them. Losing weight so fast I figure I must be in ketosis.
- Very little hunger
What was I Doing?
- 3 meals a day most days between 6 AM and 6 PM. Nothing in between.
- 18 hour fast Monday, Wednesday, Friday. 2 meals those days, noon and 5:30 PM
- Broke fast once. I had taken Glipizide late on an empty stomach. That was the night of the low FBS.
- Medication. Lipitor, Metformin, Glipizide, Lisinopril, Zoloft, Low dose aspirin, ibuprofen, Centrum Silver Multivitamin
- Fairly lackadaisical about my macros, until my binge (see “Keto Works (mostly)”. After that, strict keto, writing everything down and calculating macros daily.
What was I eating?
- Ground beef
- Ground lamb
- Ground bison
- Lamb chops
- Salad with ACV and olive oil dressing. Greens, celery, red onion, Avocado, lemon juice, microgreens.cucumbers
- Baked chicken, skin on
- goat milk mocha with cacao and stevia. The night of the low FBS. About 12g of carbs.fixed everything.
- Chicken soup/bone broth with all the schmaltz plus a few drops of black sesame oil.
- Espresso and black and green teas
- “Riced” cauliflower and broccoli mix
- Chili con carne. Ground meat, onions, chili powder, spices, tomato sauce, cilantro
Plans for August
- HbA1c test this week.
- Doctor the week after
- Stay with strict keto.
- Eliminate the 6/18 fast days for 2 weeks.
- Keep strict eating window. 6 AM to 6 PM. That leaves a 12-hour nightly fast.
- Start exercising. (I’ll forgive you if you don’t believe that.)
- I’ve joined a study. The Salk Institute is doing a 14-week study in biological rhythms and how a restricted eating may improve health. You download an app and do it from home. It’s a lot of keying in on strict keto I’m down that anyway. The elimination of my 6/18 fasting is to establish my baseline on the study. If you’re interested check out mycircadianclock.org